Module 6: Sprint Design & Facilitation
Why should you use this method?
- Be clear abour your role as a facilitator
- Get people into the right mindset
What is the sprint lead/facilitator?
The sprint concept is very relevant in innovation. It helps to untangle the messiness of uncertainty and gives structure to solving any problem. It will help you focus on the things that really matter. The sprint lead is the individual who is in charge of the sprint on a day-to-day basis. As the sprint lead and facilitator, it is your job to:
- Create the sprint format, plan accordingly and keep the team on track
- Ensure quality of findings, recommendations and pivots
- Liaison with the team sponsor
- Educate, inspire and energize the team
Energize the team
To get the maximum out of the participants, it is your job to help them get in the right mindset so their contributions will be of real value for you and the sprint.
- Send a motivating invitation that creates a sense of urgency
- Send some upfront inspiration and triggering questions
- Select a suitable workshop location with the right vibe
- Provide refreshments like snacks and water
- Use energizers to raise the energy in the group and make them feel comfortable
- Play music during breaks and creative activities like brainstorming
- Finish the session on a high, ensure the participants feel progress and next steps are identified to get to a resolution soon
In your role as a facilitator, you want to achieve the outcomes that you promised and planned. To get there is the art of “Manipuhelping” - manipulating the participants in order to help them.
- Be very clear on the worskhop objectives and outcomes. Don’t overpromise and underdeliver. People will leave the room frustrated
- Create ownership by allowing the participants to give the answers and own the putcome. Don’t push your ideas onto them. They want to think that they cae up with the ideas themselves
- Ask the right questions. You are in front of the group. You are the one that asks the questions and steers the conversation
- Write down conclusions. You are holding the pen and you decide what you write down on a flipchart and how you write it down
- Prepare the content in-depth. For every exercise, for every strategic conversation, write down the possible solutions you can think of and create a shortlist. This helps to ask guiding questions if the team is missing something
Manipuhelping is an art. You have a sense of direction. However, you want to keep enough flexibility to move in a different direction as well. In the end, that is why you want to get the collective brainpower to think about a solution. If you do it right, it will look like you are just writing down what everyone says. However, you have to peddle hard underneath the surface to make it happen, but you can’t show this hard work to the team. You need to stay very calm and in control.
How do you get a spring workshop started?
Are you planning an in-person or an online facilitation? Check out the tips for each on the respective method cards!
Before getting started, consider your sprint scope and team.
To facilitate a workshop, prepare by writing an agenda and detailed screenplay!
And if you are getting into action, have a look at the tips and tricks to involve your leadership and deal with difficult situations.