Module 7: Innovation Finance & Metrics
Present a new business idea
Why should you use this method?
- Present your business idea effectively to the customer/ client or management
What is an effective way to present a new business idea?
The structure below is a general structure for presenting any (business) idea. If you don’t have a solution yet, but want to pitch a general project idea, have a look at the method card Present a new project idea.
Tips and tricks:
1. Keep it short – max. 10-12 slides
Part 1: Set the stage and explain why your idea should be considered
- A summary statement of the idea
- A Problem, need, or challenge to be solved, validated by some data
- The solution you offer
- The value this solution creates for the user and the company
- Business model and how you intend to make money
Part 2: Showcase why your idea will succeed
- What makes your solution better than others?
- Present the team working on the project and why they are the best possible team
- Give a short competitive analysis
- Key metrics and financial projections
- Key unknowns and risks and how will you handle them?
- The current status and the action plan
- Ask/ Call to action towards your audience
2. Make it personal and as a story. Refer to storytelling method card
3. Use authentic images to tell the story and not have more than 20 words per slide
4. Keep more than half the time for feedback and discussions
How can you apply this method?
1. Invite your team
Invite your team members for a short activity to prepare the presentation. Ideally, start with a storyboard using the template provided and use that as a guideline for the final presentation.
2. Part 1
Fill the slides in the template or draw the slides on paper to make an effective storyboard for the presentation. Use words and use placeholders for images. Part 1, sets the tone for the presentation and covers summary, problem statement, solution, and value proposition.
3. Part 2
This part of the presentation needs to cover all the metrics, data, and analysis to convince the client/ management about your project.
4. Feedback and discussion
Set sufficient time to have a discussion and feedback on the presentation and idea. This is where the maximum learning is going to take place.
- Action Plan method card
- Storytelling method card
- Elevator Pitch method card
Pen, Paper/ Table template