Module 8: User Experience Design
Monitoring & Evaluating Framework
Why should you use this method?
- To measure the effectiveness of the solution
- It helps you define the key indicators to track and gather data
What is a Monitoring & Evaluating Framework?
A Monitoring & Evaluation Framework is an outline for how you will track the effectiveness of your solution out in the world.
The framework will help you scope out a basic approach, including the key indicators you want to track and the data gathering methods you will use. They may be quantitative and qualitative, depending on what you're trying to track. Some indicators need to be adjusted based on what data you can feasibly collect.
There are two types of indicators, Output Indicators and Outcome Indicators.
- Output indicators will allow you to measure whether your solution is performing up to expectations
- These indicators, also known as KPIs will be measures of resources, activities and user uptake
- Help to answer the question “is my solution achieving its goals?” or “what does success look like?”
- These indicators will be measures of things that sit at the outcome level, such as shifts in knowledge or behaviors
How can you create a Monitoring & Evaluating Framework for your project?
1. Define the indicators
Define the output and outcome parameters that are relevant to your experience design.
2. Identify data sources
Identify the different sources to measure the indicators.
3. Figure out the frequency
Figure out how often these indicators need to be measured to provide insights and to prove a project is successful.
4. Set the baseline value
State the current value of the indicator.
5. Set a target
State the desired or the target value of the indicator.
Pen, Paper/ Table template