Module 1: User Discovery & Needfinding
Even if the interviewee pauses before answering, do not help him/her by suggesting an answer. They should always cover at least 80 percent of the conversation. Use the remaining 20 percent to ask questions and make them feel at ease.
Do not be afraid of silence, if you allow there to be silence, a person will have time to reflect on what they have just said and explain something deeper. Let the interviewee fill the silence!
Look for inconsistencies & non-verbal clues
Very often what people say, do, think, and feel are very different. Gracefully probe these contradictions and pay attention to body language and emotions.
Stay on the same path
Respond to what your interviewee offers and follow up to go deeper. Use simple queries to get him/ her to reveal more details, "Oh, why do you say that?"
Ask "why?" 5 times
Even if you think you already know the answer, probe for the deeper meaning. Behave like a curious child; insist on asking “why” until you reach a deeper level of understanding and identify the real underlying needs.
- Generates a better understanding of current non-customers
- Helps identify new opportunity spaces to bring non-customers on board