Module 8: User Experience Design
Studying Competitive Landscape
Why should you use this method?
- To strategically design a superior product or experience
- It is a critical part of the research process
- Understanding the landscape of solutions is critical to the foundation of the solution you are designing
What do you mean by studying the competitive landscape?
A competitive landscape analysis provides strategic insights into the features, functions, flows, and feelings evoked by the design solutions of your competitors.
Once the main competitors have been identified, look into the competitor’s end-to-end user experience. But always remember to keep in mind your product’s goals, how you want users to feel about using your product, and why they would prefer using your product over the competitors.
How can you study your competitive landscape?
0. Before you start
Some questions to consider when you analyze your competitors:
- Who is currently trying to solve this problem?
- How are they trying to solve the problem?
- What is their main differentiator, the unique value added by their business and products?
- Did anyone try to solve it in the past and fail? And why did they fail?
1. Create a list of comparison criteria
Use the template or prepare your list of questions that you are answering about your competitor. You can always add more criteria if it makes sense. This will keep your research guided. And these will be different depending on what your business is.
2. Run a SWOT analysis
Run a fundamental competitor analysis matrix such as SWOT analysis to closely examine the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats related to your company.
3. Identify 3-5 competitors
Start with 3-5 competitors and be aware of when to stop.
4. Get inspired but don’t copy
Don’t copy your competitors' designs you find in your research. The competitors may not be using best practices, so instead, be inspired by the solutions found in your research and adopt the solutions to fit your brand, product, and users.
Pen, Paper / Table template